Every time I tell a Detroiter that I moved from the “Big Apple” to the “Motor City” they look at me with disbelief. Why would anyone move from New York to Detroit? Of course, the question is reasonable. New York City seems to have it all. It is arguably the cultural/financial capital of the world and rightly so. But is life perfect in New York? No. So I took the plunge and moved to Detroit, here are 5 things I’ve learned so far.
- The Sense of Community is Greater
- People that are from Detroit are super passionate about their town and really want to see the city at its best. All the different incentives to help small businesses, affordable housing, and refurbishing of the city are great things that community does to show how passionate they are.
- It is much easier to get around Detroit than New York. Being able to hop in my car and run errands is an underrated blessing that most take for granted until they are in a city like New York. While living in New York the simplest tasks would take me forever. Grocery shopping, running to the post office, and finding the local pharmacy all became a time-consuming endeavor. Although it is great to have public transportation, there can be a downside to it.
- Cost of Living
- The average cost for a 1-bedroom apartment in Manhattan is $3,150, yes you read that right!! Since the rent is very expensive most New Yorkers have roommates, which still has most rent payments between $1,500 and $1,900. The average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Detroit is $1,516. That being said, I am grateful to be able to have a 1-bedroom (10x bigger) apartment in the Detroit Area.
- Being able to access 4 professional sports teams is awesome! The proximity in relation to downtown makes Detroit appealing. In New York, getting to Yankee Stadium or Met Life made for a 1-2-hour train ride with crowds. I love being able to find parking and enjoy whichever sporting event I want to attend.
- Making the Most of Any Opportunity
- Getting out of the mindset that you have to be in the “perfect” city to be happy or create a life you want to live is a fantasy. I have decided wherever I am in the world will be the best place for me at that time. Enjoying every moment, and the memories you make is all that matters .
Written By Let’s Detroit’s Nile Johnson.